Sunday, May 16, 2010

Trading My Plastic in for Pearls

Heard a story once about a girl who had a strand of plastic pearls that her parents had given her. She loved the necklace so much that she never took it off, even when she went to bed at night. You could ne sure that wherever you found her, the beads would be fastened around her neck. One night while tucking the little girl in, her father asked her, "Do you love me?". She replied quickly that of course she did. Then, he reached out his open palm, and asked his daughter to hand him the beloved necklace. She immediately refused, asking him why and telling him that she loved it too much. So, he kissed her on the cheek, told her that he loved her, and said goodnight. This went on each night for several weeks. Finally, one evening when he asked, the little girl, teary eyed, unfastened the beads and with a shaky hand reached out and placed them into the hand of her father. Her daddy then reached into his pocket with his other hand and pulled out another strand of beads, and gave them to his daughter. But, unlike those the girl had worn before, these pearls were not made of plastic, they were real.

I wonder how many things I'm gripping onto so tightly that God is asking me to give up in exchange for something better. How often do I settle for good when God is just waiting to give me great? Many times, even now, my dreams, desires and relatrionships are second rate to what God could fill my life with if only I would lay them down and allow Him to do it.

A friend of mine gave me a mix CD a few years ago with a BarlowGirl (kinda gay, I know) song on it called "Surrender". At that time in my life I was struggling to give some things over to the Lord that I knew He was asking me to lay at His feet, including a relationship I was in and some plans that I had made. They weren't bad, but they were far from God's best for my life. I remember listening to the lyrics of the song, and realizing how unwilling I often am to truly surrender my whole life to Him. Why is it that I am so afraid to trust Him with everything when time and time again He has proven Himself faithful? That song popped into my head not long ago for the first time in a long time. I think I need to be reminded of the meaning of those lyrics again now in my life.

Looking back at the story, knowing there are things at this very moment that I am struggling to surrender, I find hope in in how just like the little girl's father, our heavenly Father is so very patient with us. He does not force us to relinquish control, but gently asks until we are ready. It amazes me that even in my stubborness, once I finally do give my life over to Him, He is so ready to take the scraps of my brokenness, and instead give me the glory of His perfection.



"Surrender"

My hands hold safely to my dreams
Clutching tightly not one has fallen
So many years I've shaped each one
Reflecting my heart showing who I am
Now you're asking me to show
What I'm holding oh so tightly
Can't open my hands can't let go
Does it matter?
Should I show you?
Can't you let me go?

Surrender, surrender you whisper gently
You say I will be free
I know, but can't you see?
My dreams are me. My dreams are me.

You say you have a plan for me
And that you want the best for my life
Told me the world had yet to see
What you can do with one That's committed to Your calling
I know of course what I should do
That I can't hold these dreams forever
If I give them now to You
Will you take them away forever?
Or can I dream again?

Surrender, surrender you whisper gently
You say I will be free
I know, but can't you see?
My dreams are me. My dreams are me.

3 comments:

  1. My precious little Jacqualyn. :)
    I love to see you allowing God to work through and in your life. The story paints a beautiful parallel to God's character. I am praying for you, and am so thrilled to see you trusting God to provide His best for you. Because He will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spoke to me a lot Jace, thanks for that :) but I suppose in all our lives we have something we hold on to.

    I like the pearl story, haha as an artistic person it helps to "paint the picture" so to speak ;) har har. But really, I was able to share the idea of "letting go of what's good for God's best for us" with a friend, and I think it encouraged her, so thanks again for creating that opportunity :). But it definitely applies to my life too, and I'm doin my best to let go and let God as my father says often!

    I'm excited for this semester and all of us helping each other let go of those things we hold on to as we all let go and look up together toward Christ. If we're all looking at something, those who see us will see and look with us, ya?

    ReplyDelete