Monday, June 7, 2010

A Link to the Past

WARNING: for all of you who do not believe that time travel is possible prepare to stand corrected.

Yesterday I journeyed about 20 miles outside of Decatur and about a hundred years back in time to the tiny town (if it can even be called that) of Greenwood, TX. Now, Decatur is small, but this place is like nothing you have ever seen…or heard of…literally. It’s not even large enough to deserve a population sign, however my dad and I estimate about 300 people judging from attendance at the two churches in town. There are more cows than people, and more hay bales than cows. I’m not sure there is a word in the dictionary to describe how tiny this place is. And, for everyone who makes fun of my country accent, you aint heard nothin yet. These folks speak with such a southern twang that I feel like I need a translator.

It was here that my mom grew up on a dairy farm, and where my grandmother still lives. Every year they have a lunch for all the people in town and those who grew up there. When my mom mentioned that this fun festivity was coming up the following day, I got so darn excited that I could hardly contain myself. In fact I was looking so forward to it that I drove to Greenwood and slept out on a bed made of hay under the stars so that I could be the first one there Sunday morning.

Ok, so maybe that’s not true. Actually, I didn’t even really wanna go at all, and I wasn’t going to. I mean, here I am craving adventure and travel with everything in my being, and the best I could do is Greenwood. What the heck?

But, I woke up yesterday morning and for some reason just thought “hey, why not?”

Turns out I am super glad I went. I got to meet some new people, and hang with the fam, which I don’t do nearly enough. And even though ninety percent of the people there were like four times my age and it was in the ballpark of a hundred degrees, I had a pretty awesome time. And, like God has been doing lately, He reminded me that you can find adventure anywhere.



I decided to include some photos, for your entertainment and mine, and so that you could see that when I say “small” I am actually being quite generous. So, get ready to travel back to yesteryear. Enjoy.






Cogratulations! You can now say you have seen downtown Greenwood in its entirety. Be proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment